I’m a hands on IT manager ready to roll my up my sleeves and lead high-performance teams in architecting, developing, and operating innovative, cost-optimized, and secure technology solutions.
Chief Technology Officer
SevenTwenty Strategies – Washington, DC
September 2016 to August 2017
Led a scrappy team of full-stack engineers in an agile DevOps environment, providing continuous delivery of SaaS and PaaS advocacy solutions in AWS to Fortune 500 clients.
- Architected secure Web Applications in AWS (EC2, RDS, VPC, S3, CloudFormation) using continuous delivery techniques.
- Refactored legacy PHP code to support modern security best practices and MVC techniques.
- Performed code reviews on Node.js microservices, PHP apps (Symphony, Laravel, Cake), AngularJS front-ends,
- Audited Ansible Playbooks, AWS CloudFormation Templates, Jenkins jobs, AWS IAM policies, and VPC Security Groups.
- Performed security patching, configured Apache and NGINX Vhosts, optimized Varnish on Linux hosts (Ubuntu, CentOS, Amazon Linux) via SSH and sudo.
- Administered cybersecurity policy and response in compliance with NIST Framework, including risk assessment, intrusion detection, and incident response.
- Managed Enterprise IT services, including on-premises Active Directory, Azure ADFs, Office 365, and G-Suite.
- Solutions raised hundreds of millions of dollars for grassroots organizations and Fortune 500 PACs, including Exxon Mobil, Novo Nordisk, CVS, Best Buy, PhRMA, and National Association of Realtors.
Manager, e-Business Solutions
Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, Washington, DC
January 2015 to August 2016
Managed an award-winning team of senior developers, designers, and analysts as part of the Business Innovation Division within a mature, government organization.
- Earned an MWAA “Core Values Award” in 2015 for leading development of the new FlyReagan.com and FlyDulles.com, a multi-site Acquia Drupal platform delivering information to 4 million passengers each year.
- Developed Enterprise Applications, Websites, Mobile Apps, Kiosks, and Digital Signage, supporting 1,000 employees and 4 million passengers.
- Collaborated with senior management (Directors, VPs, CIO, CEO, CRO) to develop innovation strategy for Reagan National, Dulles International.
- Managed Cloud Infrastructure, including AWS, Acquia Drupal, and Heroku.
- Team honored with CIO Magazine’s CIO 100 Award for architecting and developing the Travel Information & Revenue Enhancement Platform (TIREP), a central hub for airport travel experience data.
Manager, Web Application Development
National Business Aviation Association, Washington, DC
June 2010 to December 2014
Architected, developed, and managed hybrid-cloud digital advocacy solutions for multi-million-dollar not-for-profit representing more than 10,000 member companies.
- Coded websites and microsites using Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP (LAMP) stack, ColdFusion, MS SQL, SharePoint, and MS SQL.
- Architected, developed, and operated NBAA Air Mail, an association social media platform delivering more than 20 million posts each month.
- Administered AWS infrastructure (EC2, VPC, RDS, S3), using SSH, Dome 9, and Sumo Logic.
- Managed application Cybersecurity, including incident response, intrusion detection, and application hardening in a PII environment.
Director of Information Technology
FirstFlight, Horseheads, NY and New York, NY
June 2008 to June 2010
Managed IT Service Portfolios and Strategy across all domains for a small charter airline with ninety employees and thirty aircraft based around the world 24/7/365.
- Reduced IT and administrative staff headcount by 25% by implementing a digital aircraft document management platform based on SharePoint.
- Optimized revenue by integrating Flight Operation Management System (aircraft and schedules) with a SharePoint-based CRM solution.
Chief Technology Officer / Vice President, Sales and Services
Paperless Cockpit, Inc., Memphis, TN
January 2001 to June 2008
Managed R&D, technical sales, and service for an Award-winning electronic charting tablet solution for Commercial Airline, Business Aviation, and Defense markets.
- Led fifteen technical sales, engineering, and support serving more than 3,000 customer organizations, including Fortune 500 flight departments, aerospace manufacturers, and government agencies.
- Served as an SME / integration consultant for Lockheed Martin’s US101 Executive Helicopter Multi-function Display, Bombardier Aerospace’s Global Express and Challenger 604 Electronic Flight Bag, and NASA Ames Research Center’s Fight Simulator.
- Won Pilot Magazine’s Readers Choice Award from 2003 through 2006.
Education & Certifications
BA in English Literature
Centenary College of Louisiana, Shreveport, LA
1996 to 1999
Project Management Professional (PMP)
Project Management Institute
May 2009 to May 2018
Private Pilot (Single Engine)
Federal Aviation Administration
February 2006 to Present
Amazon Web Services Bootcamps
AWS Essentials – Feb. 2015
Architecting Highly Available Applications on AWS – Oct. 2015
The Best Advice for a Young, First-Time Startup CEO
Observer.com, August 2016
Originally posted on Quora, my account of my own experiences as an entrepreneur were published by the Observer.
Class 1, Class 2 EFB Operational Approval: Two Roads for Part 91F Operators
Avionics News, July 2007
My article in Avionics News is an analysis of how current regulation and policy (as of 2007) could be used to allow general aviation pilots of large aircraft (i.e., business jets) to use portable computers to display charts and other flight-critical information rather than paper-based sources. The arguments I presented here were incorporated into the official FAA guidance, which is still in use today.
- Project Portfolio Management 20+ years
- Team Building 20+ years
- Web Development 20+ yrs
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) 10+ years
- Cybersecurity 10+ years
- Responsive Design 10+ years
- UX/UI 20+ years
- PHP 10+ years
- jQuery 10+ years
- MySQL 10+ years
- Drupal 5 years
- Node.js 3 years
- AngularJS 2 years
- Jenkins 1 year
- Ansible 1 year
- WordPress 10+ years
- Git 5 years
- SharePoint 10+ years
- CRM 10+ years
Metropolitan Washington Airport Authorities “Core Values Award” – January 2016
I received recognition for my work managing the development and launch of the new FlyReagan.com and FlyDulles.com websites.
CIO 100 Award – MWAA Travel Information & Revenue Enhancement Platform – Summer 2016
My team at MWAA received CIO Magazine’s CIO 100 Award for our work on architecting and developing the Travel Information & Revenue Enhancement Platform (TIREP), which serves as a central hub for all relevant information related to the airport travel experience.
Plane and Pilot Magazine Readers Choice Award – January 2003
From 2003 through 2006, my team won the Plane and Pilot Magazine Readers Choice Award for our Electronic Flight Bag (EFB) platform.
Forbes Technology Council – January 2017 to Present
Forbes Technology Council is an invitation-only organization for senior-level technology executives.
American Motorcyclist Association – January 2010 to Present
The American Motorcyclist Association is the US’s leading motorcycling organization for advocacy, touring, and racing.